Wednesday, July 04, 2007

30 YEARS OF STAR WARS

A New Hope was released in 1977 when I was 24. Can you imagine how many sci-fi flicks I had seen before 1977?

One of my favorite movies of all time besides SW is Jason & the Argonauts. I was 10 when the 1963 film version was released in movie theaters. For those of you who weren't around in 1963...the movie is based on a legend in Greek Mythology. Jason, rightful heir to the throne of IOLCUS, makes a voyage to retrieve a ''Golden Fleece" that once belonged to the kingdom and was in the "possession" of the Kingdom of Colchis. Only by returning the Golden Fleece to Iolcus would the throne be returned to him by his evil half uncle who murdered his father. With the help and challenges of the gods...Zeus, Aphrodite , Hera, Eros, Athena, his quest to find the Golden Fleece was accomplished. (His story is much longer but I only give you what this movie covers.)

I don't know much about special effects at all, but I can say that this movie would probably have benefited from ILM technology. Only being 10 at the time, I sat in awe as I watched harpes (winged beasts with the head & breasts of a woman and the body of a bird) swoop down on a blind man, a humongous crowned water creature (I believe it was Poseidon) rise out of the sea to steady floating rocks that otherwise would have smashed Jason's ship to pieces, a multiple headed fire-breathing dragon Jason had to kill, giant statues and skeleton warriors with swords coming to life to duel with the brave captain and his Argonauts. This movie so impressed me I thought to myself right then and there, if I ever have a son I will name him Jason. My oldest son Jason is now 34 years old.

There were other "sci-fi" movies that I really liked....The Forbidden Planet, where Robbie the talking Robot (from Lost in Space TV show fame) was first introduced and the Godzilla movie from the 60's whose special effect was a plastic monster walking around in a "dollhouse" city, yet the movie was so good. I especially liked the Godzilla vs. Mothra movie with Mothra the "flying moth"...strings attached. I'm sure these classic movies would have been spectacular had ILM existed then, but as they are there is nothing like them. They are classics and I still watch these movies. I love them, they're part of MY pop culture.

GL has created flying starships with no cables attached, alien creatures, jumping Jedi and slithering Jabba the Hutt that doesn't look ridiculous or fake. One of the reasons the SW Saga has the following it does is due to HIS special effects. Can you imagine the Death Star hanging by a thread in mid-air?

Yes after 1977, sci-fi movies changed for the better and I consider myself lucky to be around for the "before & after".

MTFBWU ALL

No comments: